Thursday, May 21, 2015

Post radiation update- help my skin is falling off!!!

I finished radiation almost a week ago.  My poor skin, it is literally falling off.  My armpit is the most affected by this.  It is oozing and very moist as the skin continues to fall off.  It is hard because it sticks to my shirts.  My back is doing the same thing but not as bad as my armpit and it is not as painful either.  This just sucks!!!!  I cannot let my arm fall to my side, it is so painful.  I take 4 Ibuprofen in the morning right when I wake up and then another 2 at lunch time and 3 before bed.  I have to keep up on the pain pills or else I am in trouble.  I can't believe how painful burns are.  This is another rare side effect that I am experiencing but once again I am not surprised.  They said it usually takes a good two weeks before your skin starts to heal.  My chest on the other hand finally looks a little better today.  It is still bright red but it isn't itching near as bad as it has.


This sure makes sleeping and bathing difficult.  I don't sleep to well.  I can only sleep on my left side and I have to make sure my right arm is propped up on a pillow so that it doesn't fall to my side.  Sometimes I will give in and just sleep in my back with my arm up above my head but then my cream rubs off onto my sheets and my back starts to itch.  I can't win!  It hurts to shower because then the water touches the tender exposed areas.  I have to take a bath and keep the water from touching my burned areas.  

I am continuing to use the Aquaphor and Silvadene cream.  It feels better when I keep the areas moist.  If they start to dry out then I start to itch and then with the itch comes more pain.

I can get through it I am almost a week out and should only have another week left to go.

2 comments:

  1. AQUAPHOR IS YOUR CEST FRIEND. KEEP IT SLATEHERED ALL DAY EBERY DAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST FRIEND. KEEP IT SLATHERED

    ReplyDelete