Monday, September 28, 2015

Another trip (Best Friends Animal Sanctuary)

This past weekend (September 24th-September 27th) Kaci and I along with Debby were able to take a trip to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah.  We planned this trip a year ago last August and this was the only trip that was planned last year that we didn't have to cancel due to my cancer diagnosis.  We decided to keep the reservations and see what the next year brought.  Good news for me, I was feeling great and still wanted to go on this trip.

We were able to stay on property at one of the cottages.  We volunteered each day for two shifts each with the exception of our last day where we only did one shift.  We volunteered with the dogs, cats and rabbits.  It was such a rewarding experience.  They need the volunteers to walk the dogs and to socialize with all the animals as well as a little bit of cleaning.  If they had to hire enough care takers then they wouldn't have much money left over to help the animals.  It was amazing and we met some really neat cats and dogs.  It was so hard to not take them home with us.  They do have nice living conditions unlike the shelters but it is still not a home and that one special person to bond to.

We were able to take a dog "Happy" on a sleepover one night.  He is a rottie mix and the sweetest thing ever.  He was so good with Kaci and was so happy the entire time, hence his name.  He joined us about 3:30PM and we took him on many walks but he would not potty.  Finally at 9:30PM that night he went potty but that was after coaxing him for over a half our.  We were ready to throw in the towel and just let him go on the floor if he needed to.  He slept with me in my bed all night.  He loved being comfortable on the sofa and the bed.  We had to return him at 8:00AM the next morning and then be to our next area to volunteer by 8:15AM.   I sure hope someone adopts him soon, he was rescued from New Mexico.  The next night we decided to take 2 kitties from the FELV room.  These kitties probably won't ever get adopted because of their illness and most only live 2-4 years after diagnosis.  These cats have to live with other cats that have this same virus or else they will infect the healthy cats.  We though the cats would be easier than Happy, boy were we wrong.  These silly girls kept us up all night with digging in their litter box and jumping up on our beds and purring all night long.  It was worth it though, it was nice to give them some one on one attention.

I highly recommend a visit to this place if your travels takes you out this way.  People come from all over the United States just to visit and volunteer at this sanctuary.  Some even adopt from them without a visit as they will fly most cats and dogs to their new homes.  These are some really special animals and it was such a gift to me that we got to meet them.

I love the co-founders and all they did to get this place up and running.  I only wish I was able to do something like this.  I have such a soft spot in my heart for animals, always have and always will.  When I was going through treatments my 3 dogs and cat were there for me every step of the way.  Animals just know when something is not right and they tend to cuddle up to you and give you more loves than usual.  I was so worried I was going to lose Jake during my treatments but he hung on and I think he hung on for me.  I just couldn't lose my first born fur kid while I was going through everything.  I do think our time left with him is getting shorter by the day.  He is falling down all the time, his back legs won't hold him up anymore. 

I have had the time of my life the past few months.  I have seriously been so busy this summer and I still have a couple more trips left.  After all I went through I vowed to myself that I will make this the best half year of my life and that it has been!!!!  I will find a way to pay for these trips later on.  I just had to make sure to get them in now while I feel good and as a reward to me and my family for what we have been through.  After these next 2 trips then we will take a break for the winter.  Hopefully next year will be good to us and we can travel a little bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment